Friday, November 15, 2013

Stop Expecting. It Helps !!!

Stop Expecting. It Helps !!!

My mom has always thought me to love and give without expecting anything in return. I’ve grown seeing her give more than she receives. She’s generous and kind to strangers and that baffles me. She’s always giving…..

I’ve failed to understand this gesture. It doesn't come naturally to me. I've always felt that every action needs a reaction in the form of a give and take. And for me, that’s the way the universe pans out. Hence, I’ve always lived life, having huge expectations.

As children we’ve always had materialistic expectations on birthdays, special occasions or on scoring well at school. At work, we look forward to those promotion and pay hikes for the extra effort and hours put in. It just feels nice being appreciated with words, deeds or a sweet something for anything done.

But here’s the catch. Expectations stress, hurt and burn you out. Little things like ….
Waiting for that good night message from someone you love or care for
Waiting for your friends to wish you on your birthday
Expecting for seniors / colleagues to appreciate your extra effort at work
Expecting your BF to accompany you to all the movies and dances and the list goes on……
And as people get busy with their hectic schedules, distractions and chaotic lifestyles they tend to forget.

So don’t stress over little things……. What I’ve learnt over the past few years, if you stop expecting, then everything that happens is a SURPRISE.

I feel a lot lighter and easier, when I do things for friends, family, acquaintances or even strangers, without expecting anything in return.


So go ahead and SURPRISE yourself!!!

5 comments:

  1. Your Mum's so right!! It really helps when you do things because you want to do it without expecting anything in return. But, in few scenarios/ cases the recipient should acknowledge your efforts..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Deanne. Same her, I ,too get surprised with my mums's big heart of just giving without expecting. And what baffles me is that though we were not financially stable and there were times when my mum would go hungry, but, she never failed to sent money order to her blind sister-in-law in Goa. She knew that there was no way for her to repay that, but she did it faithfully.

    And God rewards you for it. My Dad is no more, but my mum who has been a house wife and never worked in a corporate world is getting her monthly income through my dad's pension. She is also very fit with no health issues, even at 80.

    Isn't that amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mona, yes its indeed amazing. Don't think we've meet but thank you for sharing your personal thoughts. Mommies are indeed God's gift to us. Praise God for their resilience, strength and love.
      lets connect on twitter @RodriguesDeanne
      you could reach me on FB - Deanne Rodrigues or join my cooking page - Deanne and Experimental cooking.
      cheers and God Bless

      Delete
  3. Hey D great going on the blog. Totally loved the article. This is something I've been doing consciously now not expecting anything from anybody or honestly life. And recently I have seen miracles just happen out of the blue. But its hard really hard not to expect the lil things in life that do give you some sort of hope :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 100% Linette, its definitely not easy. Especially for a social, sensitive and generous person like yourself. The little acknowledgements and appreciations always help and boost our spirits. But then there's always the element of surprise and peace when you stop expecting.... cheers honey.

      Delete